Oh no its snowing!! For the lucky ones not going into work or school today you are likely hunkering down waiting for the 18 inch NY blizzard to pass. Unlike hibernating Bears, Mother Nature does not give you the gift of slowing down your metabolism.
How can snow and wellness go together? How to to prevent cabin fever and weight gain?
1 Water sport in winter. Water guns can be a fun winter activity in the snow as well. Simply mix some kool-aid or food coloring with some water and fill the guns with the liquid dye. Spray the snow with the water guns to create pictures and words. This is a fun project for multiple people, and it will prove that water guns are fun all year round.
2. Work out in front of TV. Just 15 minutes of sit-ups, jumping jacks, push-ups and squats can burn 200 calories.
3. Play video games. No not the sedentary kind you’re thinking. Hit the Wii or X-Box Kinect virtual motion games that get you going such as Dance Revolution, Kinect Sport, Punch Out, and Wii Fit Plus.
4. Vitameatavegamin. Lucy Ricardo was onto something, using foods and vitamins play a role in mood.
- Boost Vitamin D, the “sunshine vitamin”, with light therapy, 20-30 min of sunshine 3 -5 days a week or daily Vitamin D supplements.
- Animal Protein – increasing depression fighting tryptophans found in lean meats such as poultry, eggs and wild seafood.
- Selenium – low levels of selenium are also associated with an increased risk of depression. Serve Brazil Nuts at the next Football party.
5. Altruism – Volunteer for Meals for WheelsYes helping others chemically changes neurotransmitters associated with positive feelings, decreasing anxiety and worry, and making people feel stronger and more energetic.
Snow Ice Cream
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Beat egg; add milk, sugar and salt. Mix together well. Add enough snow to make it thick.
Shorter, darker days can cause winter blues but evidentially snow and ice cream bring smiles. Now if I can only get up to doing push-ups to Downtown Abbey.